Tips & Tricks for Family Portraits
- Arrive Early
- If you are scheduled at 3:00 p.m. and show up late, you will have less time in the camera room. If you need to get ready here (hair, makeup, etc.) please arrive early enough to be ready by your start time.
- Weather for Outdoor Portraits
- Let’s face it, we are at the mercy of mother nature. If it rains, no fretting will do anything about it, we simply have to reschedule. Don’t worry about the clouds, they actually HELP! But rain falling is a problem.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable to you and suitable for the situation. Solid, darker to medium colors, long sleeves, and high neck shirts look the best. Avoid large patterns, stripes, dots, plaids, short sleeves, neon colors and wording on the front of clothing. Groups should plan a coordinating color scheme. Colors – Blacks, browns, greens, and blues photograph the best. Wear long sleeves and higher necked outfits.
- On Location Props
- Cars, tractors, golf carts . . . Let’s use things that mean something to your family!
- Pets are part of the family too! Horses cats, we do it all!
- This is NOT the time to be experimenting with new hair styles (or colors). If you do get it cut, try to do it at least a couple of weeks before the session so you get used to the way you want to style it. If you want to change styles during the session (for a specific look or outfit) that’s OK!
- Ladies, wear makeup that is natural for you. Put on makeup darker than normal. Eyeliner, lip gloss, mascara, blush to bring out cheek bones, eyes, and lips.
- Facial Hair
- Guys, a fresh shave looks the best! If you wear a beard or mustache, please have it trimmed. Hair should be trimmed at least 1 week before your session.
- Ladies, wear makeup that is natural for you. Put on your make up a little darker than normal. Especially if you are fair-skinned.
- If you wear glasses, borrow a set of empty frames from your optician or have the lenses removed from your frames. Where there’s glass there is always reflection and distortion. Retouching glass glare requires an additional fee.
- Be prepared to have fun! We are extremely lucky to be doing a job we absolutely love! Having a good time and creating incredible photography for your family is our top priority!