Tips & Tricks for Senior Portraits
- Arrive Early
- If you are scheduled at 3:00 p.m. and show up late, you will have less time in the camera room. If you need to get ready here (hair, makeup, etc.) please arrive early enough to be ready by your start time.
- Weather for Outdoor Portraits
- Let’s face it, we are at the mercy of mother nature. If it rains, no fretting will do anything about it, we simply have to reschedule. Don’t worry about the clouds, they actually HELP! But rain falling is a problem.
- Bring a variety of outfits: from dressy to casual, traditional to funky. Try to match specific outfits with specific props you might bring (such as your pet, car, etc.). If you change fast you get more variety. Spend all day in the dressing room, you get less time in front of the camera. Plan outfits completely. Group your outfits together ON HANGERS. Make sure your outfits are ironed. Solid colors photograph better than wild patterns, especially with traditional poses, BUT please wear what you feel comfortable in... these are your (and your family’s ) Senior Portraits.
- Please bring things that show what you enjoy doing at this time in your life! The sky is the limit on this one…nothing is too crazy! We’ve had everything from horses to frogs and snakes, cars, and motorcycles! Sports equipment, musical instruments or your favorite James Dean poster. Pets are OK. It is a good idea to have someone bring your critter, then leave with them. Just call if you have any questions.
- Who to Bring
- If you have a best friend or someone special you’d like to bring along…go for it! Parents are always welcome and encouraged to come along and get a closer look. Friends, no problem!
- Feel free to bring a few CDs of your favorite music to help you relax!
- Your senior Portrait Session is NOT the time to be experimenting with new hair styles (or colors). If you do get it cut, try to do it at least a couple of weeks before the session so you get used to the way you want to style it. If you want to change styles during the session (for a specific look or outfit) that’s OK!
- Facial Hair
- Guys, a fresh shave looks the best! If you wear a beard or mustache, please have it trimmed. Hair should be trimmed at least 1 week before your session.
- Ladies, wear makeup that is natural for you. Put on your make up a little darker than normal. Especially if you are fair-skinned.
- If you wake up with an unsightly blemish the morning of your session…don’t panic. Remember that any image you choose to order from
includes retouching. But if you feel you must use cover-up, try not to cake in on too heavily…we’ll take care of it!
- If you wear glasses, borrow a set of empty frames from your optician or have the lenses removed from your frames. Where there’s glass there is always reflection and distortion. Retouching glass glare requires an additional fee.
- Tattoos & Scars
- Just let us know if you want tattoos to show or not. It’s that easy. Scars are not automatically retouched, but can be removed or softened at your request. Extensive work may require a slight extra charge.
- Be prepared to have fun! We are extremely lucky to be doing a job we absolutely love! Having a good time and creating incredible photography for your senior year is our top priority!